Monday, May 19, 2014

Fried Chicken and Biscuits

Why does growing up Southern make you privileged?
Fried Chicken and Buttermilk Biscuits
That's a meal I expect my Mom and Grandma to cook when I come over for a comfort meal. Now that I am a mom I want to carry on that tradition and all of memories that surrounds that meal. Fried chicken and buttermilk biscuits for me is a perfect Sunday meal. I don't know why but I think of Sundays as a comfort day. Lazy Sunday with good food can anything else beat this
 
Buttermilk Fried Chicken

             
Ingriedients              

1 3-4 pound whole chicken cut into pieces   (I buy mine already cut)

1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 cups buttermilk        
Self-rising flour                
Vegetable oil

 

Preparation
Salt and pepper chicken. Place chicken in a shallow dish or zip lock and add buttermilk. Cover and seal and place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Pour oil into deep skillet or dutch over and heat to 360. Remove Chicken from buttermilk. Dredge chicken in flour and add chicken a few pieces at a time cook chicken for about 10-13 minutes turn over and cook for another 10-13minutes. If it get to brown turn down the heat to around 300.  Take out and drain on paper towel lined tray.

 

 
Buttermilk Biscuits 
 
Tips for Best Biscuits
1. If you are using self-rising flour for the biscuits make sure to ONLY use all-purpose flour for dusting your work surface. Self rising flour can give the outer coating of the biscuits a bitter taste.
2. Knead gently and as little as possible.
3. VERY cold butter. When I am making any type of dough I usually stick my cubed butter in the freezer for about 5 minutes before I use it.
4. PREHEAT! Your oven should ALWAYS be preheated no matter if your making biscuits or cookies!
5. Make sure your baking soda, baking powder and flour are fresh. Don’t use the baking soda you have opened in the fridge, store your flour properly and never use them after the fresh stamp date.
6.When you cut out the biscuits from the dough, push the biscuit cutter straight down, then straight up. Do not push down and twist. This compacts the edges of the dough and causes uneven cooking and flat biscuits.



Buttermilk Biscuits
Ingredients:
2 cups self rising flour
1 stick cubed unsalted butter, COLD! ( I like to cut mine into cubes then place in the freezer for about 5 minutes before using)
3/4 cup buttermilk

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
In a bowl  add your flour, cut chilled butter until your mixtures resembles small peas. Using a fork stir in the buttermilk and mix until just combined (very important to NOT over mix). Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently fold then gather about three times until the dough comes together. Now roll the dough out using your rolling pin to approx 1/2 inch thick. Cut out the biscuits using a biscuit cutter or drinking glass and place them on a large baking sheet as close together as you can get them. Bake until slightly golden brown, about 20 minutes.


Signature

1 comment:

  1. I have to confess I have never fried chicken in my life.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time and stopping by, I love reading all your sweet comments they make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...